Why is certification required to purchase some Twilio phone numbers?
Due to local regulations, some phone numbers require the user to meet specific address requirements. The local address can be a business or personal address that you, your company, or your customer uses within that country.
Twilio does not require you to report this local address to us at the time you purchase the phone number. We will ask for it only in the event that we are contacted by authorities in that country. In the event that the local address is required, Twilio will send an email requesting this information to the email address associated with the account. You will be required to provide the local address within 24 hours or your phone number(s) in that country may be taken out of service.
The following countries require address certification:
- Czech Republic
- Belgium (local numbers only – national numbers have no requirements)
- Finland (local numbers only – national numbers have no requirements)
- Sweden (local numbers only – national numbers have no requirements)
- Mexico* – Must NOT be based in Mexico to buy phone numbers. Learn More.
* Indicates that the phone number is currently only available as part of our global number beta program.
The type of numbers we are able to offer in Mexico require that the purchaser NOT be based in Mexico. As with other forms of address certification, Twilio does not require you to prove where you are based at the time you purchase the phone number. We will only require proof that you are not based in Mexico in the event that we are contacted by Mexican authorities.