Can I try Twilio’s Global SMS without upgrading?
Depending on your country, you may be able to try Twilio’s Global SMS service without upgrading your Twilio account. With a Twilio trial account, you may only send SMS messages to SMS-enabled phone numbers which you have verified.
Setting up Twilio’s Global SMS for your trial account
If the country you want to send SMS messages to is listed on the Voice International Permissions page, you won’t need to upgrade. You can get started by following these steps:
- Be sure that your trial phone number is a US or Canadian phone number. Currently, these are the only phone numbers capable of sending Global SMS. If you picked a number from another country during signup, or you signed up without getting a number, please contact Twilio support and we’ll be happy to help.
- Give your account permission to call the country where you want to send SMS messages on the the Voice International Permissions page. Check the box next to the country and click “Save” once you have done so. You need to do this so that the verification phone call in the next step goes through.
- Verify the phone number where you will be sending SMS messages by going to the Manage Numbers page and clicking on “Verify a number”. If you are having trouble verifying the phone number, you may want to read this FAQ article which describes how to make international calls.
- Give your account permission to send SMS messages to the country where the phone you just verified is located on the SMS International Permissions page.
- You are ready to send SMS messages! You may want to start by using the API Explorer to send your first test message.
The country I want to send messages to isn’t listed!
If the country you want to send SMS messages to is not listed on the Voice International Permissions page, you will need to upgrade your Twilio account. Here is a list countries where we accept credit card payment from. Please contact Twilio support if you have any questions.