What is Global SMS and how does it work?
Which numbers can send Global SMS?
Currently, only Twilio phone numbers from the United States or Canada can send SMS to other countries.
Where can Twilio send SMS messages to and what does it cost?
Twilio is able to send SMS messages to billions of people on over 1,000 carrier networks, in 150+ countries. To see if a country or carrier is supported, please visit our SMS Pricing Page and enter in the name of the country, then scroll down to the section labeled “All SMS pricing for” the country.
How can I get started with Global SMS?
- If you haven’t already done so, create a Twilio account. If you are offered a Twilio phone number, please be sure to select a phone number from the United States or Canada.
- To use Global SMS, we reccomend that you upgrade your account, but by following these instructions it may be possible to try Global SMS without upgrading.
- If you don’t already have one, please purchase a local US or Canadian phone number.
- Enable SMS permissions for the countries you will send SMS to on the SMS Global Permissions page.
- Try using our API Explorer to send a message from your US or Canadian Twilio phone number. Simply fill out the required fields and click “Make Request”.
What format should I type the phone numbers in?
Please enter all phone numbers in E.164 format. No leading “0″s, no international trunk code, just a “+” followed by the country code, followed by the rest of the number.
What should I do if something doesn’t work?
Most issues with sending Global SMS can be resolved or identified by following the steps in this SMS troubleshooting guide.