Today we announced the launch of Twilio Elastic SIP Trunking. Elastic SIP Trunking is an entirely new approach to SIP Trunking that uses the power of the cloud to bring instant provisioning, global reach and data-driven routing to the world of SIP Trunking.
SIP Trunks connect IP based communications infrastructure to the PSTN. If you are a customer of Twilio Voice, you probably don’t need SIP Trunking – SIP Trunking does not have all the TwiML control of Twilio Voice. However if you have your own IP Communications infrastructure – whether a cloud based communications platform, or enterprise-premises based equipment like a call center or PBX deployment, then SIP Trunking is for you. Trunks can either connect that infrastructure for terminating calls out to the PSTN (known as termination), receiving calls from the PSTN (known as origination) or both.
Traditional SIP Trunking offerings typically require custom quotes and manual provisioning, and once configured only provide basic voice connectivity. Twilio’s SIP trunking provides a different approach, with trunking instances provisionable on demand, inbound numbers available in 50 countries, and a significantly richer feature set. In addition, those legacy SIP Trunks require users to pay for the maximum concurrent usage that may possible be needed (known as channels), whereas Twilio charge only for what you use, per minute, with no limit on the number of concurrent channels.
Twilio SIP Trunking includes a set of unique features:
- Numbers on a SIP Trunk that can send and receive SMS and MMS (in some markets).
- Data-Driven Routing which uses real-time quality measurements to dynamically route outbound calls to the best carrier, providing yet another point of resiliency and quality that other offerings cannot provide.
- Call recording available on a per-trunk or per-number basis, with no additional hardware or per-user fees – just a simple per-minute charge for cloud storage of the recording.
- Failover to powerful TwiML scripting to specify what failover logic should apply to replicate on-premise IP-PBX functions should you experience a local internet outage.
- Multi-tenanted SIP Trunks with per-tenant billing records and logs, making it easy to track usage by department, account or use case all under one master account.
To learn more and get started, visit https://www.twilio.com/sip-trunking