How do I close a subaccount?
If you’re managing multiple customers via subaccounts, you can change the subaccount status to “closed” to irreversibly close that account. If a subaccount is closed, it means that:
- Twilio will release all phone numbers assigned to it
- You can’t ever use a closed account to make and receive phone calls or send and receive SMS messages
- It cannot be reopened
- It will appear in your Accounts List via the API, and you will still have access to historical data for that subaccount
- It will be shown as “closed” in your account management dashboard when you log in to “Subaccounts Menu.”
Note: If you want to temporarily suspend one of your subaccounts, you can change its status to “suspended” instead of “closed.”
Currently, all subaccount management must be done via the REST API. To close a subaccount, you’ll want to make an HTTP POST request to that subaccount’s Account Instance resource.
If you have a small number of subaccounts to manage, you can use Twilio’s API Explorer, which acts like a UI wrapper for the API.
Steps to Close A Subaccount with the API Explorer:
- Visit the “Accounts” section of Twilio’s API Explorer and select “Update Account”.
- Choose the correct Account Sid for the subaccount
- Click the blue link that says “Optional (Show Parameters)”
- Set the “Status” to “Closed”
- Hit the big “Make Request” button
After refreshing the page, the subaccount should now no longer show up in the drop down or anywhere else in your account.
This is a destructive procedure, so please be sure that you have the correct Account Sid. Helpful hint: rather than trying to remember the whole thing, just see if the last three characters match.
You are going to want to be sure that you are, in fact, not using that subaccount since setting the status to “Closed” will release any numbers that you have in that subaccount and will also make any of the UI logs that are part of that subaccount inaccessible.
If you run into a problem closing your subaccount, please feel free to reach out and ask us for help.