Is your business in touch with the trends, events, and moments shaping customer engagement in 2020?
Digital bombardment is real—overwhelmed consumers are increasingly discerning when it comes to how they choose to interact with their chosen companies and brands.
At the same time, chatbots, voice assistants, and conversational AI are everywhere you look. Even so, consumers aren’t clear on what conversational AI can do, and the potential of the technology remains largely untapped.
The trends shaping how companies and organizations interact with customers is also shaping politics in a time when engagement—and galvanization—is higher than ever.
And through it all, the customer experience remains of utmost importance, driving top companies to hire C-level roles focused solely on CX, and its unbreakable thread throughout their organization.
Customer engagement is in a state of constant change. And, since Twilio helps 170,000+ customers engage their customers in every possible way, we have a unique perspective on how businesses and customers interact—as well as the trends and technology shaping communications today.
To that end, we’re thrilled to share our first-ever State of Customer Engagement Report, available free now.
The report offers an unparalleled look at how today’s businesses, from massive global organizations to nonprofits and everything in between, are interacting with their customers and users, in the form of five major trends shaping and informing communications today:
- 52 percent want the option to choose the channel on which they receive messages
- 41 percent of consumers are annoyed because they don’t remember opting in to receive communications from businesses
Trend 2: Conversational AI is everywhere but the full potential is still untapped
- The use of virtual and voice assistants continues to rise, with Google’s Assistant deployed across one billion devices, and Amazon reporting sales of 100 million Alexa-enabled devices in 2019.
Trend 3: Robocalls kill trust in the phone hurting business and consumers
- In the United States, 58.5 billion robocalls were placed in 2019, equaling roughly 178 calls per person affected.
Trend 4: Politics moves beyond the polls to new channels and platforms
- More than one billion texts were sent between July 2018 and election day 2018 by political organizations using Twilio’s platform alone. We expect this number to increase in 2020.
Trend 5: CX is the differentiator for every business
- 75 percent of consumers are more likely to make a purchase from a company that knows their name and purchase history and recommends products based on their preferences.
In a time and global market when business must focus more than ever on their customers’ needs, preferences, and desires, this report is a must-have for any leader who needs to keep a finger on the pulse of customer engagement—and these days, that’s all of us.
See the report now, and check back for deeper insight into how businesses can get ahead of each key trend in the coming weeks here on the Twilio Hub.