We are updating our Terms of Service available at https://www.twilio.com/legal/tos and our Acceptable Use Policy available at https://www.twilio.com/legal/aup. Our updated Terms of Service and updated Acceptable Use Policy will be effective on February 1, 2021 for new customers and March 15, 2021 for existing customers.
If you are an existing customer, no action is required on your part to make these updates effective and binding. Our updated Terms of Service and updated Acceptable Use Policy will automatically apply to your, or your organization’s, continued use of our services as of March 15, 2021. If you have, or your organization has, a separate written agreement with Twilio for the use of our services, only our updated Acceptable Use Policy will apply to you or your organization.
Our updated Terms of Service and updated Acceptable Use Policy completely replace any previous version of our Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy. This also includes any previous version of our Acceptable Use Policy that is attached or otherwise incorporated into a separate written agreement that you or your organization has for the use of our services.
The updates are provided in more detail below. We recommend that you read our updated Terms of Service and updated Acceptable Use Policy in full.
- We shortened, reorganized, and streamlined parts of our Terms of Service, so they are clearer and easier to understand. This, for example, includes provisions relating to your responsibilities, tax and communications surcharges, export controls, and your affiliates’ use of our services.
- We clarified that our services are intended for business use or for use related to an individual’s trade, craft, or profession only.
- We clarified the scope of each party’s indemnification obligations and updated the types of claims that are excluded from the limitation of liability.
- Notices will be provided to you via email or in your account portal.
- We updated terms specific to customers that are in the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, or the United Kingdom.
- All product or service specific obligations, including any country specific obligations, are now included in our Service and Country Specific Requirements framework, which is now available via our Acceptable Use Policy.
European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, and United Kingdom Customers: If you are a customer based in the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, or the United Kingdom and you object to the foregoing updates to our Terms of Service, you must provide your objection in writing to Customer Support no later than March 15, 2021. If you object to the foregoing updates, you must not use our services after March 15, 2021. Please note your continued use of our services after, or failure to provide written notice of your objection by, March 15, 2021 constitutes your acceptance of our updated Terms of Service.
- We updated our Acceptable Use Policy, reorganizing it so it is easier to read and understand the various rules and prohibited activities regarding our services.
- We centralized obligations for specific products and services, including any country specific obligations, under our Service and Country Specific Requirements framework available at https://www.twilio.com/legal/service-country-specific-terms, so they are easier to locate.
- We updated our Acceptable Use Policy to make it clear that hate groups are prohibited from using our services. In addition, any content or communications that is considered criminal misinformation, exploitative, abusive, or hate speech is prohibited from being transmitted or stored using our services.
- We retain the right to update our Acceptable Use Policy from time to time upon reasonable notice, which may be provided via your account portal, e-mail, or by posting an updated version at https://www.twilio.com/legal/aup.
- You are now required to immediately report any violation of our Acceptable Use Policy to https://www.twilio.com/help/abuse and investigate and/or remedy the violation.
If you have any questions, please contact Customer Support.