Too many messages have been sent between two numbers within a short time period, possibly indicating a runaway job or infinite loop. There is a limit of 20 outbound replies between a two phone numbers.
A counter is set for each outbound TwiML reply in a conversation (between two numbers). When the first reply occurs, the counter starts at 1. If the next reply is sent less than 15 seconds after the prior reply, then the counter goes to 2. This will continue if each reply is less than 15 seconds, until the counter surpasses 20, where Twilio will put a hold on any messages sent for 30 seconds and throw this error.
- fast responses by the end user (less than 15 seconds)
infinite loop caused by self referencing Sms or Message verb action URL
- infinite loop cause by a Twilio phone number sends messages to itself
- infinite loop caused by self referencing Redirect verb URL
- runaway process making repeated outgoing REST API requests
- make certain any action or Redirect URL's do not loop back to the same TwiML document.
- make sure the ‘To’ and ‘From’ number of your messages are different
- make sure you are not using the reply to send a large quantity of messages to the same phone number
- make sure any scripts you have are not messaging someone in a loop