Product: Programmable SMS
ERROR - 21606
The 'From' phone number provided is not a valid message-capable Twilio phone number for this destination.
You can only send SMS messages from a phone number provided by Twilio, and that phone number must be SMS enabled. Visit the phone numbers page on your account portal to view a list of phone numbers that you own, and whether or not they are enabled for SMS. You can only send SMS messages from a phone number or short code provided by or ported to Twilio, and that phone number must be SMS-capable. For short codes, the From number must be in the same country as the To number.
Visit the phone numbers page of your account portal to view a list of phone numbers that you own and to determine whether they are SMS-capable.
Due to anti-spam regulations, the number a user sees when you send an SMS using your application must be the same Twilio number associated with that account. This differs from voice calls, where it is possible to display a verified caller ID other than your Twilio number.
- The Number you are using may not be capable of sending messages
- The Number may be formatted incorrectly. Twilio accepts numbers in E.164 format
- If the Number is a short code, it must be associated with the same country as the destination address.
- Check that you are using a Twilio phone number with SMS capabilities. You can see your purchased phone numbers and their capabilities in the Twilio console.
- If sending the message globally, verify that your
Fromphone number is capable of sending messages and you have enabled geographic permissions for your account.
- If you are sending from a short code, verify that the country you are sending to matches the country of the short code.
- If you are sending messages with test credentials, verify that you are using one of the available test credential "magic phone numbers"
Sending global SMS
Only certain countries and phone numbers are currently able to send global SMS messages. You may have received this error while trying to send from a number which is not capable of sending Global SMS messages. For more information, including an up to date list of countries that can send messages globally, please see our FAQ page on Global SMS.
If you received this error while trying to authenticate with your Test
Credentials, you probably tried to send a message with a
From number from
your live account.
The only number that can be used to send
messages with your Test Credentials is
For more information,
read our documentation on the
From number for sending SMS with your test
credentials and check out this blog post on using Twilio's test credentials with magic numbers.