This Flex UI
2.x.x migration guide covers breaking changes to the Flex UI programming interfaces. It covers required changes you may need to make to custom code or plugins. The most notable changes are:
- Your dependencies may need to be upgraded
- Some aspects of Flex now use the Conversations SDK
- Flex Conversations replaces Programmable Chat
- Flex WebChat is not supported with Flex UI 2.x.x. If you are using WebChat, we recommend that you build with Flex Conversations once you migrate to Flex UI 2.x.x. You also have the option to switch to the Twilio Webchat React App.
- There is a new Theming interface
- State management has changed
- Sync usage has changed
For details on each Flex UI interface mentioned in this migration guide, their description and usage code examples, check out the Flex UI API docs.
If your migration doesn't go as planned, you can roll back your changes to use Flex UI 1.x.x if necessary.
Review these resources to learn more about Flex UI 2.x.x:
- Flex UI 2.0 Enhancements Overview
- Flex UI 2.x.x Release Notes
- Get Started with Flex Conversations
- Set up your account with Flex Conversations: Prerequisites
Try the migration in a test environment first. Starting with a test environment enables you to identify and correct any unexpected effects without impacting your production application.
The following sections outline high-level migration steps that you must take:
If you don’t have any custom plugins for Flex UI, complete the following steps:
- Ensure that you have read Set up your account with Flex Conversations: Prerequisites. Flex UI 2.x.x is designed to work with Conversations.
- Enable Flex UI 2.x.x on your account.
If you have deployed custom plugins to Flex UI, complete the following steps to ensure that your plugins will work with Flex UI 2.x.x:
- Review Flex UI 2.x.x updates that can affect your customizations to understand what updates you will need to make.
- Ensure that you have read Set up your account with Flex Conversations: Prerequisites. Flex UI 2.x.x is designed to work with Flex Conversations.
- Disable your existing 1.x.x-based plugins.
- Enable the latest version of Flex UI on your account using the Versioning and Updates page on flex.twilio.com.
- Update dependencies to be compatible with Flex 2.x.x.
- Test your plugins in Flex UI 2.x.x. If necessary, update your plugins for Flex 2.x.x.
- Apply any updates to your customizations that you identified in step 1.
- Deploy your Flex UI 2.x.x plugins.