Twilio Functions is a serverless environment which empowers developers to quickly and easily create production-grade, event-driven Twilio applications that scale with their businesses.
Key features of Functions:
- Secure By Default - Automatically ensure that only Twilio requests can execute your function
- Serverless - Offload your operational burden to Twilio and skip maintaining any infrastructure
- Autoscaling - Automatically add capacity to meet the unique demands of your application
- Native Twilio Integration - Use Functions as a first class member of the Twilio console with a preinitialized Twilio REST Helper Library built in
- Familiar - Work in an environment powered by Node 6.10.x
Twilio Functions replaces your need to find hosting or stand up a server to serve TwiML or any other HTTP based responses. With Functions, you no longer have to worry about maintaining or scaling web infrastructure - it's all managed seamlessly by Twilio, scaling with your use case.
Typical use cases include manipulating voice calls, serving up tokens for our mobile SDKs or invoking the Twilio REST API in response to an event such as an inbound SMS.
For a visual introduction to Functions, checkout this video:
To send feedback and discuss implementation details, please join our Google group and let us know how things are going!