Your business designation within the WhatsApp ecosystem determines how your business appears to end users.
There are two types of WhatsApp Business Accounts (WABAs):
|"Business Account"||Any account that uses the WhatsApp Business API is by default a Business Account. Any business that can complete Business Verification on Facebook Business manager can have a WhatsApp Business Account.|
|"Official Business Account"||
WhatsApp has performed an additional level of vetting to provide a branded profile on the WhatsApp application. Reserved for a few globally recognized enterprises, chosen at WhatsApp's discretion.
An Official Business Account is marked by a green checkmark badge in its profile as well as next to the header in the chat thread. The name of the business is visible, even if users haven't added the business to their address books.
Please note: Official business account approval is done at the sole and full discretion of WhatsApp. Generally, Facebook reserves Official Business accounts for internationally recognized brands. Being verified on Facebook or Instagram does not help your business to become an Official Business Account.
If your account is a Business Account (the default), users will only see your Verified Business name, in smaller text, in the Contacts view. All other views, such as the user's Contacts view, show the business phone number. (See screenshots below for an example.)
Please be prepared for users who try to call the number in the Contacts view and plan for how to handle such calls accordingly.
You can help customers learn more about your company by filling out your business information, such as your business website, address, and hours of operation.
In the above example photo, the Business name Perspective Coffee is displayed in small text next to the phone number on the contacts view (left-hand image)for the business name. In the one-on-one chat view (right-hand image), only the phone number is displayed.
If your account is an Official Business Account, the Verified Business name will be visible in the chat list, chat screens, chat groups, and contacts view, instead of the phone number. There is also a green checkmark beside the displayed name in the contacts view.
In the above example photo, only the verified Business name Twilio FAQ Bot appears on the contacts view (left-hand image) for the business name. The Chat view (right-hand image) also displays only the verified name, rather than the phone number.
Having a WhatsApp Official Business Account offers the following benefits for your business:
- A Verified Account badge: A green check mark, shown in the chat header, to ensure that users recognize your business as a WhatsApp Verified Business.
- Named Conversations: Incoming notifications show the business name, rather than a phone number. A business name is more recognizable than a phone number, so this results in higher engagement and conversion rates.
- Designation that the business is a known sender on a user's device. Known senders benefit from suppression of the automatic SPAM report/block suggestion on the conversation screen as well as clickable embedded links.
To apply for a WhatsApp Official Business Account, follow the steps below.
Note that approval for a WhatsApp Official Business Account is not guaranteed and is subject to approval by WhatsApp. WhatsApp does not disclose their criteria for approving Official Business Accounts.
- Submit your Facebook Business Manager account (Please note: this is a different account from your WhatsApp Business Account) for Business Verification. Check your business information under Business Verification Status at https://business.facebook.com/settings/info. If the account shows Unverified, follow the linked steps to get verified. (Learn more about the verification process on Facebook's website.)
- Once your Facebook Business Manager account is verified, open a support ticket with Twilio. In this ticket, request to apply for a WhatsApp Official Business Account and provide the following information. Twilio will use this information to open a ticket with WhatsApp to confirm the account. After you submit the following information, it typically takes up to three (3) weeks to complete the review process when applying for a WhatsApp Official Business Account.
- A screenshot showing your verified Facebook account status
- The business website address
- The Facebook page URL
- The business name in languages other than English (if any).