With warm transfers, agents are able to:
- Call another agent or a queue for consultation about an ongoing customer call
- Start a conference call between another agent and a customer, and
- Transfer the customer to another agent
As outlined in the diagram above, a common warm transfer scenario involves the following steps:
- The agent and customer are on an initial call. The agent (Agent A) decides they want to initiate a warm transfer.
- Agent A initiates the transfer by calling an agent or a TaskRouter queue with the Flex UI.
- Agent B answers the call. At this point, Agent A and Agent B can discuss the customer's needs without the customer hearing the conversation. The connection to Agent B is the consult call.
- Once they're ready to transfer, Agent A can put Agent B on hold, remove the Customer from hold, and let them know who will be joining the call.
- Agent A can now remove Agent B from hold. This will allow Agent A, Agent B, and the Customer to all speak at the same time.
- Agent A can leave the call. Agent B and the Customer will continue the conversation. The warm transfer is now complete.
In order for Warm Transfer to work, agents must be on a live, conference-based call. The agent cannot be in the middle of another transfer, and the agent must be active (i.e., not on hold.)
Finally, if you're having trouble initiating a Warm Transfer on a project that hasn't been used recently, you may run into an issue with transferring to a TaskQueue that hasn't been used in the last 30 days. Create an inbound Task that routes to that Queue in order to reset it, and try initiating another Warm Transfer.
- Open the Directory in the Flex UI
- Go to Agents
- Find the agent you want to call and click the phone icon
- Open the Directory in the Flex
- Go to Queues
- Find the queue you want to call and click the phone icon.
While waiting for Agent B to accept or reject the call, Agent A can press the red X near Agent B's name to cancel the call and get back to the customer.
To toggle between the customer call and the consult call, put one participant on hold and unhold the other participant.
To allow all three participants to speak at the same time, unhold both calls.
An agent can remove another agent from the conference by clicking on the red circle with a phone icon under the agent's name. The agent will need to confirm the action by clicking on the check mark.
To leave the call, click the red Leave Call button or the button with an icon of a phone with an arrow. Agent B will continue the call with the Customer, and the Warm Transfer will be complete.
If Agent B was put on hold before Agent A left, Agent B can unhold themselves and continue the conversation with the customer.
Click on the filled in pause icon to unhold any participant. When all calls have a status of Live, participants can talk to each other. This is also known as a call merge.