We recommend using the following references in your projects. As we make patch releases, these links will automatically include those fixes with full backwards compatibility.
Support for 4.x will cease on May 17, 2022. Please upgrade to the latest version.
Support for 3.x ceased on July 17, 2021.
End-of-Life for 2.x occurred on May 18, 2020.
End-of-Life for 1.x occurred on June 30, 2019.
Links are provided to specific patch versions here. We don't recommend using these links unless you have a specific need for a certain patch of a release.
- Bump Node required version to current LTS (14).
- Default exports are removed in favor of named exports.
- Should now work with React Native and Angular.
.onWithReplay()function to Conversation entities which could be used to subscribe to an event with replay. Upon subscribing, the most recent event (if any) will be re-emitted.
- Fix compilation of TS with type exports, broken since 5.0.1.
- Fixed polyfills for IE11.
- As part of the above fix, the package build process was also upgraded from
rollup. Unfortunately, this caused change in the type exports. While not affecting the deployments in the wild, it made TS compilation impossible. The fix for it is deployed in 5.0.2 so please do not use this version explicitly.
- Major internals improvement (the "Sessionless" protocol). This improvement is designed primarily for improved reliability. While this is not a breaking code change, it does carry a meaningful impact on timing:
- SDK commands will return success or failure up to ~10% more quickly than before.
- Real-time updates of data is now likely to arrive after the command completes. For example,
Channel.updateAttributes()will resolve successfully while
Channel#attributesstill contains the old value. To see the new value, we recommend waiting for an
Channel.sendMessagewill result with the message body being an empty string.
User.updateFriendlyNameno longer accepts null as the value.
Channel.updateFriendlyNameno longer accepts null as the value.
- Dependency bumps.
- Various documentation improvements.
Channel.lastMessage.timestampalso renamed to
- Update reason
Messageobjects got also renamed to
- Channel status
attributesarguments now accept all valid JSON values (numbers, strings, objects, arrays, booleans, nulls).
- Added read-only
stateproperty to the Channel class which reflects the Conversations state.
- Connection errors are now reported with more details about what actually happened.
- Typing timeout indicator now gets correctly set to reflect the setting for the instance on the console
- Logger name is now set to "twilio-chat"
- Extended media message sending documentation
- Fixed media messages send from node.js
- Extended documentation.
- Updated to latest twilio-sync with fixes in objects caching
Client.unsetPushRegistrationIdto resolve only after successful operation.
- Fixed emitting
Client#channelRemovedevent correctly for private channels.
- Improved documentation: added
- Fixed issues appearing in restrictive browser environments, enabling SDK operation without session storage.
- Updated twilio-sync.js dependency with security fixes
- Fixed a bug when removing a Member from Channel
Channel.getMemberBySidmethod to get Member by provided Sid
Channel.getMemberByIdentitymethod to get Member by provided Identity
Channel.createdBycan be null
Message.authorcan be null
Message.getMembermethod to get authoring Member of Message by
member_sid(if available) and if not found then by
- Fixed a bug, where recovery after a partial network degradations the websocket did not reconnect.
- Consumed new version of Sync JS SDK version 0.10.3
- Link to the token generation material got updated
- Fixed a bug where sending messages while offline caused duplicate messages at network reconnect
- Improved error handling in operations with
In this release we are introducing Member Attributes and the ability to change them.
Member.updateAttributesmethod to set a Member's Attributes (requires new permissions to be added to the according role:
- Fixed a connectivity bug that caused unhandled promise rejections
In this release we are introducing a User Notification Level to each Channel. The assigned level determines whether the currently logged-in User will receive pushes for that Channel. The assigned level be any of
default defers to global Chat Service push configuration.
Channel.setUserNotificationLevelmethod to set User's Notification level
- Fixed a connectivity bug that caused reconnection recovery to fail, including when going into the background on iOS (react native).
- Improved startup and synchronization time in some cases
- Resolved potential issue in Channel synchronization on startup
- Fixed bug preventing building React Native apps in Release configuration
- Improve diagnostics, start adding timestamps to log lines
@types\loglevelpackage is not required anymore in TypeScript projects using
In this release we have revised all updated events. Each revised event now receives an object which contains:
- updated object itself, i.e.
- array of reasons the event is being triggered, i.e. object is updated because of update in
Channel.LastMessage structure is updated to contain only last message's creation
index (effectively removing
- updated events now include reasons for the update. Changed events are:
channel.sendMessage()promise resolve type to
logLevelis now set to
silent, log lines now includes timestamp
- Adjust docs for
Client.shutdown(), introducing new types for various methods
- Adding new events on client:
tokenExpired(essentially removing need for