All new Flex accounts use Flex UI 2.0. If you need to use Programmable Chat and Proxy, please see this guide.
Flex Conversations is the next generation architecture for async channel capabilities. It supports SMS/MMS, WhatsApp, and Chat and uses Twilio Conversations and the Interactions API for building contact center workflows for those channels. The following diagram illustrates the high-level topology of Flex Conversations:
Flex Conversations provides the following async channel capabilities and contact center features:
- Rich text formatting options for chat
- Attachments for all channels – SMS/MMS (US only), WhatsApp and Chat (see Channel attachment Limits for details on file size limits and accepted file types)
- Read receipts for WhatsApp and Chat
- Includes a supported open source demo web chat application that works with Twilio Conversations and supports guest chat users
|Administrators||The ability to configure inbound SMS/MMS, WhatsApp, and Chat and associate Addresses with Studio Flows and webhook URLs|
|Developers||Twilio Conversations and the Interactions API for managing Conversation contacts, participants, custom chat channels, address configurations, webhooks, and events|
|Agents||Handle inbound and outbound async channel tasks with rich text formatting (for channels that support rich text formatting)|
|Supervisors||Monitor SMS, WhatsApp, and Chat interactions|
- For more details on the difference between Legacy Messaging and Conversations, see the FAQ page.
- Set up your account with Flex Conversations.
- Learn about Flex UI 2.0.
- Use the Interactions API resource to route and facilitate inbound and outbound SMS, WhatsApp, and Chat interactions.
- Manage SMS, WhatsApp, and Chat addresses in the Flex Console.