You’ve gone through the steps to order and register a SIM and now you want to connect a device to the Internet.
The quickest way to test all the features of Twilio’s Programmable Wireless is to use an unlocked cellphone.
After you have inserted the Programmable Wireless SIM in the unlocked test cellphone, you need to configure your cellphone to connect to the cellular network. This means setting the Access Point Name (APN) the cellphone will use.
If you’ve never done this before, no problem: we’ll show you how.
Why use a cellphone?
Programmable Wireless provides a wide range of features for IoT and communications use cases. Using a cellphone to validate connectivity is a good first step because most phones provide a broad range of cellular frequency support, a web browser to test data, a dialer for voice, and a messaging app to test SMS.
APNs are service-specifiec, you will need to enter the Twilio APN into your cellphone. The Twilio APN is:
If you know where to configure the APN on your cellphone, go ahead and make the change. If not, here are some guides.
- If you are using an iPhone, see here for details.
- If you are using an Android device, see here for details.
- For other cellphone brands, check the cellphone’s accompanying documentation.
That’s all you need to do to configure your device.
The Twilio APN does not require any authentication so you should leave the username and password fields blank.
It depends on which version of iOS your iPhone has.
|iOS under 11.3||
iOS 11 from 11.3 and up
iOS 12 and above
You can find more information on setting the APN on an iPhone or iPad on this Apple support page.
- Set the APN for a Personal Hotspot in the same location in your iPhone settings as described above for the Cellular or Mobile Data APN, depending on which version of iOS you have.
You may experience issues if your standard APN (above) is not also set to
Depending on the version of the Android OS running on your phone, you set the APN by doing the following:
- Go to Settings > More networks > Mobile networks > Access point names.
- Tap the menu or + icon to edit an access point.
Twiliounder APN and enter
- Tap your new Twilio APN to set it as your active APN.
As with setting the APN, the specific path is dependent on the version of the Android OS your phone is using.
- Go to Settings > Mobile networks or Wireless & networks > More Tethering & portable hotspot > Set up Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Tap Save.
You will know your APN is correctly set if you can send and receive data. Open your favorite web browser and navigate to www.twilio.com/wireless. You’re all set if you can load the web page. If the page doesn’t load, review the instructions for setting the APN in the previous section.