The Flex UI is a programmable user interface. When our customers adapt the Flex UI to their workflow via Flex Plugins, they are able to create their own unique experience and own the final implementation of our programmable user interface.
We are enabling our customers to build accessible experiences with enhanced support for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 AA standards. We are gradually improving web accessibility of our out-of-the-box Flex UI experience and tools used to customize it.
Starting from Flex UI 2.0.0 - beta.1, the Flex UI supports the following accessibility features:
- Accessible color theme built with Twilio Paste including a Dark mode theme
- Basic keyboard navigation (tabbable interface) for Agent Experience
- Clear focus states for Agent Experience
- Basic screen reader support for Agent Experience
- Keyboard shortcuts for common actions in the Flex UI (these can be modified)
In addition to the out-of-the-box accessibility features, we also provide tools to get you started on building accessible Flex Plugins:
- Twilio Paste - an accessible design system and component library. Starting from Flex UI 2.0.0 - beta.1, Twilio Paste is integrated and ready to use with Flex Plugins so you can take advantage of all the accessibility features that it provides.
- Keyboard shortcuts example plugin - this plugin helps you to get started with implementation of keyboard shortcut navigation that makes sense for your Flex UI experience.