New Developer Preview Features for Programmable Wireless
Today we are introducing spiffy new developer preview features to Programmable Wireless. Trust Onboard (X.509 certificates on every SIM) and Wireless VPNs.
With Trust Onboard, every Programmable Wireless SIM comes with two X.509 certificates pre-provisioned (“onboard”). This provides a built-in mechanism to differentiate device identities and gives you more options to authenticate against cloud services.
Why does this matter?
Imagine you plan to manufacture 10,000 devices for distribution and each of those devices will connect to your cloud service the first time it’s turned on. Instead of rolling your own mechanism to assign and validate the identity of each device, you can utilize the certificates onboard the SIM. This can save time and money in your manufacturing process while at the same time adding a level of comfort around authentication.
- Trust, Built-in. With certificates on each SIM, you don’t need to worry about ...
Twilio Programmable Wireless is now Generally Available 🎉
We’re excited to announce that Programmable Wireless becomes Generally Available today. Programmable Wireless provides cellular connectivity for IoT devices, powered by simple, scalable APIs and extensive global reach.
Since our beta release in July 2017, you’ve used Programmable Wireless to power a wide range of innovative use-cases. iBeat is reimagining the personal emergency response category with a cellular-connected watch that responds to cardiac incidents. Eatabit makes a cellular thermal printer for online food ordering. Dwelo released a cellular connected smart hub for apartment buildings to remotely monitor and manage unoccupied apartments. SystemOne, pioneers in the global health industry, are deploying cellular connected medical diagnostic devices serving developing economies.
Throughout the beta period, we examined data usage and noticed that consumption tends to cluster around a few tiers based on IoT use case categories. As part of today’s release, we’re introducing revised data pricing to ...
Improved Data Pricing for Programmable Wireless
- We are reducing the “Pay as you go” data pricing rate to 10¢ per MB in 120+ countries.
- Customers on the existing “Pooled” data plan will automatically receive the discounted PAYG pricing.
- We are introducing new Quota-based pricing plans for higher volume use cases (see below).
- Customers on the existing “Individual” data plan can continue to use it, but will save an average of 15% by moving to an optimal Quota-based data plan.
The challenge of IoT connectivity pricing
Creating customer-centric pricing plans for global IoT connectivity is difficult for two reasons:
- Many IoT devices use very little data, but some IoT devices are data hungry. In a given month, a high consumption device like a camera can use 100,000 ...
Bulk Actions for SIMs in Console
- Adding customer requested features.
- Provisioning SIMs ordered simplified through Console.
- Updating SIMs in bulk through Console.
Today, we’re excited to announce bulk updates for Programmable Wireless SIMs in the Console—a much-requested feature by customers to simplify the provisioning of logically grouped devices.
In the past, making changes to a fleet of devices such as moving SIMs to the “Active” state to bring them online or changing Rate Plans to allow higher data usage required writing scripts using our SIM Rest API.
We’ve made the actions to update SIMs even easier by adding the necessary UI features to the SIMs tab of the Console.
How to Use Bulk Actions in Console
Step 2: Create a Rate Plan
Step 3: Select the SIMs you wish to update
Step 4: Click the Actions button ...
Announcing SIM Data Sessions and More!
- Troubleshoot device issues and understand network setup.
- Get detailed internet session information by API or in Console.
- Reset a SIM’s network connection, remotely.
When you have a fleet of devices out in the wild, it’s important to understand the behavior of those devices as they attempt to access resources on the Internet. You also need to troubleshoot issues and understand the network setup and teardown behavior of all your devices in the wild.
Which is why, we at Twilio, are very excited to announce the SIM Data Sessions Rest API. A Data Session represents an individual data connectivity session between the SIM-connected device and a service that interfaces between the cellular network and the Internet. This will either be a PDP Context via a GGSN or an EPS Bearer via a Packet Gateway. Very simply, you can think of a Data Session as a representation of your device ...
International Shipping for Programmable Wireless SIMs
- International shipping of SIMs now available.
- Single Programmable SIM connects your devices in over 100+ countries.
- Ordering SIMs simplified through Console.
Today, we’re excited to announce international shipping for Programmable Wireless SIMs—offering cellular connectivity for your SIM-connected devices around the globe.
International shipping, together with international data connectivity, means that global connectivity from a single SIM is now available in 100+ countries. Now you can use Programmable Wireless as a single point of integration for your global connectivity use cases.
Let’s say you’re tracking a fleet of trucks that run from Canada, through the United States, down to Mexico, and back. Programmable Wireless’ international data offering provides a seamless integration with carriers on a single SIM with competitive rates.
We can ship SIMs to your developers to start testing, to your original design manufacturer (ODM) so they can start building, or just about anywhere else you ...
Introducing Global Connectivity and IoT Authentication Tools for Programmable Wireless
Today at SIGNAL we introduced two exciting enhancements to Programmable Wireless.
Global SIM Connectivity
First, we’re incredibly excited to provide global connectivity on our T-Mobile powered SIMs. This enables Programmable Wireless to support global device deployments with a single SIM SKU. And for developers building outside the US, we heard your feedback! You’re now able to connect your device during development and testing in almost 200 countries.
When Twilio introduced voice in 2008 and SMS in 2010, both products started with humble US-only origins. Since then we’ve improved global coverage every day. We do this through a combination of commercial deals and technical interops that we collectively refer to as our Super Network. Our vision for a Wireless Super Network is no different – we want to achieve first class performance and capabilities in every market around the world, all via a single SIM and a single API ...
Programmable Wireless Now Available in Beta
What a rush! In 2016, we spun up a brand new team and set forth to open up (yet another) black box of telecom—Cellular Wireless.
In the past months, we’ve:
- Shipped APIs for managing the lifecycle and capabilities of SIMs.
- Provided a self-service SIM ordering mechanism with two-day fulfillment in the US.
- Implemented a Console and API experience for understanding data usage.
- Added Programmable Voice capabilities.
- Delivered machine-to-machine SMS messages in text and binary formats for a variety of mission-critical use cases.
- Built rich metering capabilities that enable us to bill you the way you want to be billed.
- Published the first set of Blueprints to quickly ramp up developers on wide area IoT.
Most importantly, we’ve gotten to know a ton of great customers in our burgeoning Wireless community, and we’ve listened to your feedback.
Today, Programmable Wireless graduates from Developer Preview to Beta. What ...