The Evolution of Toll-Free Messaging
In recent years, Toll-Free messaging has emerged as a compelling channel to facilitate customer engagement at scale. From notifications to personalized marketing, businesses are benefiting from the reliability and scalability that allow them to get the right message to the right person at the right time.
Toll-Free messaging offers unique benefits:
- Deliverability - Toll-Free numbers are designated for business use in the United States and by certain mobile carriers in Canada. Although Toll-Free messaging is subject to carrier filtering, you can achieve high deliverability by following the best practices and requesting verification on your Toll-Free sender.
- Throughput - Each Toll-Free number comes with a default sender-level throughput of 3 MPS. You can also request higher throughput for Toll-Free numbers at an additional monthly fee.
- Instant provisioning - You can purchase a Toll-Free number via Twilio Console or REST API, or even port in your existing number.
- Unified channels - Your customers can use the same Toll-Free number to message or call your business. By providing a consistent entry point for customers, you can continue to grow your reputation as a reliable business.
Toll-Free MMS is Here
We are excited to announce that every US(+1) Toll-Free number is now enabled with MMS capability, out-of-the-box. Starting today, you can use Toll-Free numbers to send and receive media messages from recipients in US and Canada.
The ability to add rich media to your messages further extends the versatility of Toll-Free numbers. Klaviyo, a leading marketing automation platform and a pioneer in text message marketing, was one of our first partners to adopt Toll-Free MMS.
"At Klaviyo, we want to empower each of our customers to fully own their communication experiences with consumers. Toll-Free messaging enables us to serve ecommerce brands at every growth stage, from solo entrepreneurs to national retailers. With the addition of MMS, our customers now have the ability to express themselves creatively, engage with consumers and grow their business,” says Andrea Wan, Head of SMS at Klaviyo.
Here are a few things that you can do with MMS-enabled Toll-Free numbers:
- Abandoned cart reminders - Send a follow-up message to a customer who leaves your app without purchasing the items in their online cart. Adding images of the items they left can be more effective for revenue recovery.
- New product announcement - Share the next big thing with your audience, including a visual preview will keep your customers tuned in.
- Welcome message - Sometimes 160 characters isn’t enough to fully express the uniqueness of your brand. Including a brand asset in your welcome message creates a consistent experience across your website and mobile marketing campaigns.
- Contactless delivery - Keep your delivery staff and customers safe by verifying receipt with image of your delivered goods.
- Customer support - Build a world-class support experience by enabling your customers to message your support staff with photos and documentation of their issues
You can send media messages on Twilio by including the MediaUrl parameter in your API request. Our tutorial includes the steps and code samples to help you start building.
We are incredibly excited to see what you build with Toll-Free MMS!