The Twilio Elastic SIP Trunking product line has been firing on all cylinders over the past year, realizing impressive gains across all key business metrics. The results validate our strategy, which is to build a disruptive SIP trunking service in the cloud that provides customers increased business agility, PSTN connectivity that is accessible all over the world, and significantly lower costs.
Our expanding momentum has been recognized by respected third parties, including TMC, Eastern Management Group and Omdia. Most gratifying is the growing list of customers who have entrusted Twilio with their PSTN connectivity.
Rapidly growing customer base
Customers have taken notice of the many advantages offered by Twilio Elastic SIP Trunking. For the third consecutive year, we’ve notched double digit growth in our customer base. We’re winning accounts for demanding PSTN connectivity services in countries all over the globe, including contact center, unified communications, and numerous embedded voice telephony applications.
Two recently announced customers highlight our progress. Ozonetel selected Twilio Elastic SIP Trunking to power its cloud-based contact center service, providing reliable PSTN connectivity to more than 1,500 enterprise customers handling over 2 billion calls with agents in the US, Singapore, and many more locations.
Sweetwater, the leading online retailer of musical equipment and audio gear in the U.S., selected Twilio Elastic SIP Trunking for all its PSTN connectivity applications, from the contact center to basic telephony services. Twilio handles more than 35,000 calls per day for Sweetwater, including the vital connections between the company’s 6.5 million customers and its support staff.
The pandemic has refocused attention on the flexibility built into Twilio Elastic SIP Trunking. Sweetwater was among many Twilio customers that had to quickly modify its communications services to maintain operations during the lockdown. Within 48 hours, it had rerouted calls to its on premises contact center, connecting them to over 500 support engineers and service staff that were sent home to work.
Innovative new features
Our engineers aren’t standing still. We’ve introduced 19 new service capabilities designed to strengthen security for all SIP trunking use cases, improve productivity in contact centers, and increase flexibility for embedded application developers. These innovative new features top the list shown in our Change Log:
- Caller ID spoofing protection - We verify all incoming calls to your Twilio phone numbers using SHAKEN/STIR, giving you increased confidence that the caller is properly identified by DID and caller ID. Customers can dramatically reduce exposure to fraud and nuisance robocalls.
- Adjustable calling capacity - Outbound calling applications can adjust calls per second (CPS) capacity on demand, enabling mass notifications and other applications to rapidly scale as needed.
- UK emergency calling - Local UK phone numbers can be routed to Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) and we will pass along the emergency address associated with the number.
- Expanded security - Access control lists can accommodate up to 1,000 IP addresses per account for strengthened security policy enforcement.
- Dual-channel recording - We can record calls in separate inbound and outbound channels for ease of analysis with contact center transcription and analytics tools.
- Call transfer API - We enable your application to transfer calls between trunks using a SIP REFER, providing more ways to control calls.
- Console search - Quickly find trunks using new filters, such as Trunk SID, Trunk Name, Termination and Origination SIP URI.
- Call log customization - We’ve made the call log more responsive to your needs. It can be altered to show and hide information and we’ve added columns for Call SID, Cost, and Parent Call SID. Plus, we’ve added search using SIP Call ID.
More out-of-the-box solutions
We’re continuing to ensure our trunks are easy to integrate with third party infrastructure and cloud services by performing joint testing and publishing solution blueprints. We’ve recently added support for many of the industry’s most popular enterprise communications cloud services and on-premises infrastructure, bringing the total number of certified third party vendor variants to over 80 (complete list of interoperable solutions).
- Genesys Cloud BYOC - We’ve worked with Genesys to enable Genesys Cloud customers to use Twilio Elastic SIP Trunks to connect to the PSTN.
- Zoom Phone BYOC - We’ve partnered with Zoom to enable Zoom Phone customers to use our SIP trunks for PSTN connectivity under the BYOC program.
- Microsoft Teams BYOC - By partnering with Audiocodes and Ribbon, we’re providing Microsoft Teams customers multiple PSTN connectivity options. These customers can use Direct Routing and a certified E-SBC from either vendor to connect their users to Twilio Elastic SIP Trunks.
- Cisco Unified Communications Manager - Using Ribbon E-SBCs, customers can connect Cisco UCM on-premises call managers to Twilio Elastic SIP Trunks.
In a relatively short timespan, Twilio has become a recognized leader in the SIP trunking industry. Multiple independent analysts and publications that closely follow the industry have benchmarked our progress against competitors and success with customers.
Most recently, Twilio Elastic SIP Trunking has been named a 2021 Internet Telephony Product of the Year by TMC. Rich Tehrani, CEO, TMC, said: “In the opinion of our judges and editorial team, Twilio Elastic SIP Trunking has proven to be among the best communications and technology solutions available on the market. I look forward to continued leadership from Twilio.”
Omdia ranked Twilio Elastic SIP Trunking among the leading providers in its 2020 SIP Trunking Service Provider Scorecard. It noted Twilio “has been a disruptor in the SIP trunking market, offering services that are easy to provision and consume with no contracts and pricing models that run counter to those of traditional providers.”
Eastern Management Group named Twilio Elastic SIP Trunking a top ranked provider based on its 2020 customer satisfaction surveys. “Customer satisfaction with Twilio enterprise SIP trunking is remarkably high. No large enterprise we interviewed wouldn’t recommend Twilio SIP trunking to a friend,” according to a summary published in No Jitter.
Our continuing commitment
We’re not resting on our laurels. Our team is committed to expanding our leadership in the SIP trunking industry with continued innovation. We plan to leverage our cloud infrastructure to provide more flexibility and business agility to customers, expand our interoperability with third party communications solutions, and increase our global coverage.
Customers all over the world rely on Twilio to deliver innovative and reliable communications solutions. We continue to work hard to earn their trust.